We love using colored rice in our sensory play. They make a great base for sensory bins and sound lovely inside of a bottle. Colored rice looks more festive and can help you bring new experiences into your little one’s play. Plus – it’s the perfect way to practice your colors!
How to Make Colored Rice
- Decide how much rice you’ll be using.
- Decide on your colors. Will you use one color or multiples?
- Pour your rice into a zipper bag or container with a lid.
- Add 10-20 drops of food coloring. The more you add, the darker your color. You may need to play around with combinations to get it just right.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar. (Water works just fine too.)
- Shake the bag or container until the color has been distributed among the rice.
- Spread the rice out in a pan or on a cookie sheet to dry.
- Add it to your bin or bottle for an extra touch to your little one’s playtime.
Adding a little color to your rice is as simple as that! It takes me about five minutes to make a batch and then the batch lasts for years if stored properly.